Tom Walker's chicken & hot sauce gravy
Beautiful rainbow slaw
Beautiful rainbow slaw
Cooks In2 hours 15 minutes plus marinating
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 593 30%
Fat 38.3g 55%
Saturates 9.7g 49%
Sugars 11.3g 13%
Salt 1.3g 22%
Protein 47.3g 95%
Carbs 15.4g 6%
Fibre 4.4g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 4 free-range chicken thighs , skin on, bone in
- 4 free-range chicken legs , skin on, bone in
- 4 free-range chicken wings , skin on, bone in
- 200 ml chilli sauce , plus extra to taste
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 mixed bunch of fresh woody herbs , such as rosemary, thyme, sage, bay, oregano (30g)
- 30 g unsalted peanuts
- ½ a bunch of fresh chives , (15g)
- 1 red onion
- 1 crunchy eating apple
- 1 carrot
- ¼ red cabbage
- ¼ white cabbage
- 1 mixed bunch of fresh soft herbs , such as mint, parsley, basil (30g)
- cider vinegar , plus extra for the gravy
- extra virgin olive oil
- Place the chicken pieces in a large roasting tray and pour over the hot sauce. Halve and throw in the garlic bulb, then roughly tear in the herbs and add a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss well, making sure the sauce gets into all the nooks and crannies of the chicken. Cover tightly with a double layer of tin foil and pop in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight – the longer the better!
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Bake the chicken, covered, for 1 hour, then remove the foil and carefully drain any juices into a jug – this will be your gravy. Skim off any fat that has risen to the surface and spoon it back over the chicken. Return to the oven, uncovered, for a further hour, or until golden and gnarly, turning and basting with the reserved juices halfway through.
- To make the slaw, peel the onion and coarsely grate, along with the apple, carrot and cabbages onto a serving plate. Pick and finely chop the herbs, then scatter over the veg and season with a with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss with 2 tablespoons each of cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and toast the peanuts until golden, tossing regularly. Tip into a pestle and mortar and pound until fine. Finely chop the chives.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter to rest. Place the roasting tray on the hob over a medium heat. Add a good splash of cider vinegar and let it cook away for a couple of minutes, scraping up any sticky bits from the base and sides of the tray.
- Pour in the reserved chicken juices with 100ml of boiling water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, or until thickened and reduced. Add an extra dollop of hot sauce to taste, then strain the gravy through a sieve into a warm jug.
- Scatter the crushed peanuts and chopped chives over the chicken and serve with the hot sauce gravy and rainbow slaw. Delicious served with baked sweet potatoes.