Cooks In1 hour 55 minutes plus cooling & chilling
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 699 35%
Fat 46.2g 66%
Saturates 18.5g 93%
Sugars 46.0g 51%
Salt 0.2g 3%
Protein 11.4g 23%
Carbs 63.7g 25%
Fibre 0.9g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 1 x shortcrust pastry recipe
- 350 g blanched whole almonds
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 300 g caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 6 tablespoons quality strawberry jam
- 1 handful of blanched flaked almonds
- 500 g crème fraîche , or natural yoghurt (optional)
recipe adapted from
Penguin Anniversary Edition: Jamie's Dinners
By Jamie Oliver
- First of all, make and chill the pastry, then line a 28cm loose-bottomed tart tin with it. Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4, then take the pastry case out of the freezer and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Turn the oven down to 170°C/325°F/gas 3.
- To make the frangipane, blitz the whole almonds in a food processor until you have a fine powder and put this into a bowl. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, then add to the almonds.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the mixture. Fold in until completely mixed and smooth, then place in the fridge to firm up slightly.
- Spread the jam over the pastry case. Pour the chilled frangipane mixture on top, and sprinkle with some flaked almonds.
- Bake the tart for 40 minutes, or until the almond mixture has become firm and golden on the outside but is still soft in the middle.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes, then serve with crème fraîche or yoghurt.