Cooks In30 minutes plus cooling
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 296 15%
Fat 17.6g 25%
Saturates 10.1g 51%
Sugars 27.4g 30%
Salt 0.2g 3%
Protein 2.1g 4%
Carbs 34.6g 13%
Fibre 0.3g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 225 g unsalted butter , (at room temperature)
- 225 g golden caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1 vanilla pod
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
- 250 g unsalted butter , (at room temperature
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 splash of milk , optional
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/325ºF/gas 3.
- Line two 12-hole cupcake trays with paper cases.
- In a food processor or by hand, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One-by one, crack in the eggs, making sure you beat each one in before adding the next.
- Split the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds, then add half the seeds to the mixture (save the remaining for the buttercream).
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then pulse until just combined or gently fold together by hand.
- Using two teaspoons, divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden, cooked through and an inserted skewer comes out clean of cake mixture.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter for a couple of minutes until light, then mix in the remaining vanilla seeds.
- Gradually sift in the icing sugar until smooth, loosening with a splash of milk, if needed.
- Either spoon into a piping bag and pipe over the cooled cupcakes or rustically spread over the icing using a spatula, then enjoy.