Cooks In30 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 45 2%
Fat 2.2g 3%
Saturates 0.5g 3%
Sugars 3.6g 4%
Protein 1.1g 2%
Carbs 4.3g 2%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 2 large fresh green chillies , ideally Serrano
- 12 green tomatillos or green tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 limes
By Anna Jones
- Heat a griddle pan until screaming hot. Chargrill the chillies until their skins are black and blistered all over.
- Meanwhile, peel and halve the tomatillos or green tomatoes, then peel and slice the onions into wedges. Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Pick the coriander leaves, then peel, destone and quarter the avocado.
- Place the charred chillies in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to sit for a few minutes.
- In batches, chargrill the tomatillos or green tomatoes and onion wedges until they have picked up some serious char marks and are blackened and caramelised on all sides.
- Remove the chillies from the bowl and peel off the blackened skin. If you prefer a milder flavour, remove the seeds.
- Now you have to choose whether you want a big, chunky salsa or something smoother. For a textured, chopped salsa, place the chillies, tomatillos, onions, garlic, coriander leaves and avocado on a big board.
- Use a large chef’s knife to chop everything, melding all the flavours together, until the ingredients are all about the same size. Mix in the lime juice and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- For a smooth, bottled salsa, blitz all the ingredients in a blender.
- Drip onto eggs or on crispy chicken. Pour into sterilised bottles and keep in the fridge for up to a week.