Cumberland sausage casserole
Cooks In1 hour 25 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 504 25%
Fat 22g 31%
Saturates 6.8g 34%
Sugars 8.7g 10%
Salt 2.2g 37%
Protein 28.5g 57%
Carbs 38.2g 15%
Fibre 11.5g -
Of an adult's reference intake
- 10 banana shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 thick Cumberland sausages
- olive oil
- 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 large glass of red wine
- 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400 g tins of cannellini beans
- 4 small dried chillies
- 2 large handfuls of breadcrumbs
By Peter Begg
- Peel the shallots, then peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Put the sausages in a non-stick pan with a drizzle of oil, the shallots, 2 to 3 sprigs of the rosemary and a few pinches of sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss gently, and place on a medium heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, moving everything around to brown evenly.
- Pour in the wine and simmer gently until it’s almost gone, then add the tomatoes and beans, bring them to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into a baking dish and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pick and roughly chop the remaining rosemary leaves. Crumble the chillies.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add a splash of oil, the garlic, chilli, chopped rosemary and the breadcrumbs, and stir-fry until golden brown.
- Take the stew out of the oven, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs, then return to the oven for 20 minutes. Delicious served with crusty bread.