- Meat and poultry
This pate has no additional fat, pork, breadcrumbs or other tosh - just livers, liquid and lusciousness!
California, United States
37 people made this
- 110g (4 oz) unsalted butter
- 110g (4 oz) onion, sliced
- 450g (1 lb) chicken livers, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Small sprig fresh thyme
- 45ml brandy
- 60ml Madeira
- 60ml double cream
- Splash of lemon juice
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:25min ›Extra time:2hr chilling › Ready in:2hr40min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Cook the onions until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add livers, salt, pepper, garlic, bay and thyme; cook until livers are no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Flame with brandy then pour in Madeira; remove the bay and thyme. Transfer to a blender, add cream and lemon juice; process until smooth. Transfer to an oven-proof dish, cover and place in a water bath.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator.
Colour and flavour will deteriorate quickly after 2 to 3 days. It freezes well but the texture does deteriorate a little but nit enough for it to be less yummy.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
Makes an excellent pate. I made it as the instructions except I didn't add cream but added more butter instead.-03 Sep 2016