- Dish type
- Bean salad
- Chickpea salad
This salad tastes even better if you let it sit in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
Be the first to make this!
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 150g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 100g sprouts or rocket leaves
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- dried thyme
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in half
- 25g Parmesan cheese shavings
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, place in a salad bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Set to one side for 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add tomatoes, sprouts, onion and basil to chickpeas.
- In a small bowl whisk olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper till smooth.
- Add Parmesan to salad, sprinkle with thyme and drizzle with dressing. Toss well and serve garnished with egg halves.
For a vegan salad, omit the eggs and Parmesan cheese and add tofu instead.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(0)
Reviews in English (0)
Greek Chickpea Salad
Classic Mediterranean flavors are what make up this easy Greek chickpea salad with fresh veg, heart-healthy fats, and bright herbs keeping it light, lean and tangy.
The most popular recipe request I’m emailed on the regular after readers sign up for my newsletter (if you haven’t yet, here’s how), it’s the ask for more easy Mediterranean recipes. And if there’s one ask I’m more than happy to fulfill on the regular, it’s to make more easy Mediterranean recipes for all of us to enjoy. Because like you, I love eating the Mediterranean Diet way too.
This chickpea salad is not one of those that calls for unusual ingredients or mastered knife skills. This baby is basic, fresh, flavorful, and easy to pull together with just one bowl, making it a quick side dish, or if you’re trying to eat more veg like me, as a healthy vegetarian main meal.
Chickpea salad with grilled veg
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large red onion, finely sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 inches ginger, grated
2 1(4 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
pinch dried chilli flakes
juice 1 lemon
zest 1/2 lemon
handful cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon each cumin-paprika mix or Baharat spices, to taste
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
garlic, to taste, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 eggplant, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
couscous, to serve
1. Heat about a teaspoon of the oil in a large pan. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook over a gentle heat until soft and the onion is transluscent. Make sure that the garlic and ginger do not catch in the pan and burn.
2. Add the chickpeas and chilli flakes and heat until cooked and heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and zest, remaining olive oil and seasonings. Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with the coriander and spices to taste.
3. Toss vegetables in olive oil. Season and grill until cooked through, softened but not burned. When the veg is beginning to soften, add some chopped garlic. Serve alongside the chickpea salad, and with couscous.
Source of recipe: Invented by me and my housemates.
Ingredients of Pumpkin Chickpea Salad
- 200 gm chick peas
- 3 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 1/2 large onion
- water as required
- 1 handful lettuce leaf
- 400 gm de seeded pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- sea salt as required
How to make Pumpkin Chickpea Salad
To prepare this delicious salad, start by washing the pumpkin under running water and peeling it. Then, using a clean chopping board, chop the pumpkin into small pieces. Now, take a deep-bottomed pan over medium flame and pour water in it. Add the chickpeas and boil them. While that boils, preheat the oven to a 180 degree Celsius.
Now, using a clean chopping board, finely chop the onions. Then, take a large bowl and add the chopped onions and the chopped pumpkin to it. Mix well and then, add cumin powder, paprika powder, chili powder, and sea salt and toss them together.
Next, take a baking tray and transfer the mixture into the tray. Place it in the preheated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. While that bakes, take a separate bowl and add the boiled chickpeas to it along with 5 tsp of olive oil in it. Toss them well to mix.
Now, take out the baked pumpkin onion mixture and add the chickpeas to it. Mix them together and place them back in the oven to bake for another 5 minutes. When done baking, transfer it to a plate lined with lettuce and squeeze lime juice over it.
Top it with a salad dressing of your choice and enjoy the healthy and delicious salad.
Instant Energy Boost :
Chickpea Salad is an ideal dish to take after a workout or yoga as it immediately supplies a gush of energy instantly. it is gluten-free and fat-free too. chickpea salad is filling and therefore it satiates the hunger for a long time. If you travel, you can opt for this food as the protein in chickpea salad helps you cope up with a long day, without getting tired.
Let us see the method of preparing this Indian chickpea salad with simple ingredients available at home.
How to Make Moroccan Chickpea Salad
Nutty chickpeas are coated in smoky paprika, cinnamon and cumin. To this, preserved lemon is added along with red onion, garlic, lemon juice, dried cranberries and extra virgin olive oil.
After marinating for a couple of hours the chickpeas are added to a bowl lined with baby spinach and topped with Greek yoghurt, chopped pistachios and pomegranate molasses.
This chickpea salad is delicious and filling. In fact, I love this chickpea salad recipe so much that I've had it for lunch most days this week!
It's even more delicious the next day when the spices have had more time to intermingle, which makes it a great recipe for meal planning too.
And if you're looking for some more chickpea recipes - check out my vegan chickpea curry! Or for a quick party dish, try my chickpea tomato dip.
Want more delicious recipes?
Grab a free copy of my top 15 reader-favorite recipes! It's loaded with tasty vegetarian-friendly recipes that will take your dinner from boring to amazing in no time at all!
Slow Cooker Barley and Chickpea Risotto
Nutrition: 441 calories, 7.7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 500 mg sodium, 76 g carbs, 19.5 g fiber, 10.7 g sugar, 20 g protein
One of the best carbs that uncovers your abs, barley's health benefits perfectly complement those of chickpeas. While the chickpea fiber is mostly insoluble, barley's is mostly soluble. These soluble fibers help "lower cholesterol, decrease blood sugars, and increase satiety," says Lisa Moskovitz, RD, CDN. And don't let the word "risotto" scare you. This recipe simplifies the time-consuming Italian dish by way of a slow cooker.
Get the recipe from Foxes Love Lemons.
Tabbouleh Chickpea Salad
"We love hearty, substantial salads of beans, grains and cooked veg. They are usually served cold and walk the line between a salad and a side dish, but they can also be a meal in and of themselves.” – The Happy Pear
- 250g cooked bulghur wheat
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g spring onions, thinly sliced
- 50g cucumber, diced
- 150g roasted aubergine, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 50ml olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 100g rocket
- 1 large bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- When cooking your bulghur wheat, make sure to add some salt as you cook it. That way the salt cooks into the grain as opposed to if you season it later, when it simply sits on the surface.
- Whisk or blend the olive oil, lemon and tamari or soy sauce together to make a dressing.
- Now think about presentation. In a large serving bowl, start with the cooked grain, then add the chickpeas and raw veg. Drizzle over the dressing, then add the cooked veg, leafy greens and herbs and gently mix through. Add the seasoning, then taste and adjust if needed. Finally, scatter over the garnish (if using), and serve.
This recipe is an extract from the book Vegan Cooking For Everyone by The Happy Pear, released 9th July 2020.
We also have one copy to give away this month! If you would like a chance to win go over to our competition page
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat stir in onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and garlic cook and stir until tender, about 4 minutes.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion mixture, chickpeas, bread crumbs, almond milk, 2 tablespoons ketchup, flaxseed meal, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and sage in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until just combined do not overblend. Work in batches if needed. Press mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Brush top with remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup.
Prepare the Chickpeas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas and spread them out on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
Pat them dry with a paper towel, removing any skins that came off the beans.
Toss chickpeas with oil and seasonings.
Roast the chickpeas for 30&ndash35 minutes until they are golden in color and crispy on the outside (the center may still be slightly soft). If you want the chickpeas even crispier, turn off oven and allow the chickpeas to continue drying about 30&ndash40 minutes more.
Make the salad while you roast the chickpeas.
Prepare the Salad
Cut your carrots and squash using a spiralizer. If you don&rsquot have a spiralizer, use a julienne vegetable peeler to create long strips. Add vegetables to a mixing bowl.
Whisk salad dressing ingredients together.
Mix the vegetables with the dressing, adding a small amount of dressing at a time until coated to your liking. There will be extra dressing.
Sprinkle salad with sesame seeds, chopped cilantro and serve with roasted chickpeas, avocado slices, cashews, or any additional toppings (nuts or seeds) of your choice.